News Release: U.S. Bank Invests in Minneapolis Youth with $125,000 Grant to Generation Next for On-Track Credit System

U.S. Bank Invests in Minneapolis Youth with $125,000 Grant to Generation Next for On-Track Credit System
Minneapolis (February 17, 2016) – U.S. Bank announces it is investing in the futures of Minneapolis youth with a $125,000 commitment to Generation Next. The grant will support Minneapolis Public Schools’ in helping students achieve enough credits to graduate through a new On-Track credit system, an early-warning system aimed at increasing school district four-year graduation rates by 2017-18.

U.S. Bank is dedicated to making education and successful careers possible for more youth in the communities it serves. The company’s corporate giving and volunteer program, Community Possible, focuses community investments on programs centered on Work, Home, and Play.

“At U.S. Bank, we invest our time, resources and passion to build and support vibrant communities that allow every person to work toward their possible,” said Reba Dominski, president of the U.S. Bank Foundation. “We believe in the mission of Generation Next and its work with Minneapolis and St. Paul Public Schools. We are excited to support the use of real time data to keep students on track to high school graduation.”

Research shows that 9th grade performance is more predictive of graduation than socio-economic factors. On-Track will make it easier for schools to intervene and support individual students based on a number of criteria for staying on-track. Already Minneapolis Public Schools identified that 68 percent of freshmen remained on-track to graduate in four years after one quarter of classes and are working to assist with the other 32 percent.

“Other cities that have increased their 9th grade On-Track rates have subsequently increased their graduation rate significantly, which makes us very excited about implementing it here in Minneapolis,” said R.T. Rybak, executive director of Generation Next. “None of this work would be possible however without the generous support of U.S. Bank, which understands that an educated workforce ensures the prosperity of our communities.”

About U.S. Bank
Minneapolis-based U.S. Bancorp (“USB”), with $422 billion in assets as of December 31, 2015, is the parent company of U.S. Bank National Association, the fifth largest commercial bank in the United States. The Company operates 3,133 banking offices in 25 states and 4,936 ATMs and provides a comprehensive line of banking, investment, mortgage, trust and payment services products to consumers, businesses and institutions. Visit U.S. Bancorp on the web at www.usbank.com.

Community Possible is the corporate giving and volunteer program at U.S. Bank, focused on work, home and play. The company invests in programs that provide stable employment, a safe place to call home and a community connected through culture, recreation and play. The U.S. Bank Foundation is a 501(c)(3) and gave more than $23 million in grants in 2015. Visit www.usbank.com/community.

About Generation Next

Generation Next is a coalition of civic, business and education leaders dedicated to harnessing our community’s knowledge, expertise and actions so every child can thrive. Our vision is that every child has the academic, social and emotional skills to reach their full potential in a globally-fluent world.

# # #

Contact:
Susan Beatty, U.S. Bank Corporate Communications — 612.303.9229, susan.beatty@usbank.com
Twitter @usbank_news

SIF 2015